Wednesday, July 18, 2012

You Only Live Once

Do you remember the scene in the movie A Christmas Story when Flick is dared to stick his tongue to the icy pole? Of course you do. But in case you need a refresher, it goes like this:

Flick: Are you kidding? Stick my tongue to that stupid pole? That's dumb!
Schwartz: That's 'cause you know it'll stick!
Flick: You're full of it!
Schwartz: Oh yeah?
Flick: Yeah!
Schwartz: Well I double-DOG-dare ya!
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] NOW it was serious. A double-dog-dare. What else was there but a "triple dare you"? And then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare.
Schwartz: I TRIPLE-dog-dare ya!
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat!


The triple-dog-dare. How could anyone refuse? They couldn't. And for me, the phrase "You only live once" is the adult equivalent of the triple-dog-dare. There are times I don't necessarily want to do things because I'm too tired, too grumpy, too [insert adjective here]. But when the person requesting my company, attendence, or time says, "You only live once," well, game over. Those words are the kryptonite to my Superman. I will undoubtedly pause, reflect, and say, "You're right. Let's do it."

And most of the time, I'm happy I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment